Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Shanghai Trip - Day 4

Well I'm gonna skip the morning, washing, eating part and jump straight to the highlights.

My dad decided on not going to Bauma 06 that Friday to relax and sight-see. Well he just wanted to act as a tour guide, cause he's been there once. So the thrio ( Plus Uncle Sim) walked on foot to the Shanghai coast (上海滩 from what my dad says), which is very, very long. Maybe as long as Orchard road, I'm not too sure of that. Not a big fan of shopping. My dad wanted to bring me to a whatever that name tunnel for the
Ahem. As I was saying, we went into the tunnel. I was greeted by this transportation thingy (I dont know how to name it), it looked like the tram which moves between Terminal 1 and 2 of Changi Airport, or that thing which you ride underwater in the mission in Halo 2 to kill the Prophet of Regret. Except smaller. So I was awed by this, but the lack of seats in it disappointed me. Only 3 seats ? There were like 7 people in it! That thing does not go underwater, but instead moves through a tunnel under the HuangPu River. There's sazzy, mind bloggling light effect. I didnt really take note of it cause I've seen this alot doing Techno music. So we got to the other side of the river, and I forgot it's the North, South, East or West of it. Anyway It looked very different from where the hotel is located.

My dad brought us to 东方明珠, sorry for the lack of translation cause I dont know its english name. Anyway we went up this tower, which I heard is used for broadcasting TV/Radio signals. So we went in, took a elevator up(Short queue surprisingly). We're bout 200+m up and the view was breath-taking. I got to see almost the whole city and partially, the HuangPu River. It's bigger than Singapore, I believe. So after the viewing, we're decided to move higher. Well, we needed to pay again to go up =.=. The ticket which my dad bought only covered the transportation fee + visual effects in the tunnel, the Marine Aquarium (AKA underwater world) and that floor of 东方明珠. Another RMB150! But anyway that's not all. We paid, and still needed to queue to more up =.= =.= =.=

The queueing process was 30 mins long. And what seriously pissed me off was, we're going up in a lift? How is it going to transport the masses up and down effectively? It's the ONLY lift going up and down the tower. So when we managed to go up, I kinda regretted my decision. Firstly, it's smaller in area compared to that 200+m floor. Secondly, the view is almost the same. Thirdly, we needed to queue up just to go down =.= =.= =.=

Queued for 15mins before going down that same elevator we took to go up. After that, we required to queue for another 20mins JUST to reach the lobby. I was like =.= =.= =.= during the whole time waiting to go down. So apart from being squeezed like sardines in a can when in the elevator and the bloody queueing process. The whole experience is ok.

We had lunch at 东方明珠's lobby. There was this cafe/shop named Coffee Tower, and it looked ridiculously like Coffee Bean/StarBucks. The only difference is the waiter/waitress wear orange. So anyway we ate lunch here, and boy, the food's good! I can taste that it's microwave food, but still it taste great. I enjoyed that Gratin.

Next stop, the Marine Aquarium, aka Underwater World. Thank God there's no crowds inside the structure, and best of all, no queueing! The exihibits there were very different from those you'll find in the Singapore's Underwater World. Lots and lots of native species, and some really scary ones too :

Forgot the name, but it's a big salamander found in a huge river (Yellow river?)


Tiger Shark. You'll get the idea


The slightly more cute ones:




There's a great exhibition bout Sharks there too! And save the sharks! They're not mindless man-eater, but beautiful yet dangerous animals. Dont support Shark Fin Soup or any other Shark based products.

The visit to the Aquarium was enjoyable, but I had no time to shop =.= for CDs. It's around 5.15pm when we left, and man, it's like 9pm out there. So dark. As we only extended our hotel stay for 1/2 a day, which was til 6pm. So we got onto a taxi and rushed down there. It has slightly pass 6pm, and it's not even 6.10pm yet but we're needed to pay for a whole day for the hotel room, bout' 140RMB? I dont recall the price but it's over 100RMB allright. So dragging our luggages out disgruntingly, we went to a nearby, small restaurant for dinner. After dinner, we took a taxi and left for Shanghai International Airport (HuangPu), which was over a hour long ride. The whole trip cost bout' 120~160RMB, which is considered cheap for the distance covered.

The trip home was a little unexpected for me. I saw a MASSIVE group of Henderson Secondary School students, and both genders wore suits. The girls look kinda weird o.O. There're lots of other people too, and wow, I wasn't the only teen there. You could easily pluck them out. So anyway, did those procedures, and passed customs. The shops were just linear in shape, so to go from one end to another took a long time. When my dad, uncle Sim and with some friends whom they just met, went for a snack at a nearby cafe. I took this opportunity to look for a book/CD shop. To my great surprise, there's actually one there. Shocked but happy, I rushed back to the cafe for some cash to buy some CDs/books. But to my GREAT disappointment, the shop was bout' to close when I just reached there. Bad timing, but why close at 10.30pm? I thought they close at 12am ?

So due this stupid incident, it ruined my day. I had that "Hey! F**K off" face the whole trip back to Sinagpore. Even that plane trip didn't bother me much. It took me 8 songs just to cool down, bout' 40 mins long. A very long time based on my standard.

So nothing much happened on the plane, so took a short nap. Reached S'pore at bout' 6am, and when to Burger King for a short breakfast. Long queues at 6am? You gotta be kidding me! It took me 15mins just to order my breakfast.

Nothing much left, this just sums up what I remember from the trip to Shanghai. Went home, played my ever lovely com from 7am til 12pm, that's when I slept. Til 9pm+.

No comments: